Have you heard this one?
Question: How many board meetings does it take to get a light bulb changed?
Answer: Well, this topic was resumed from last week’s discussion, but is incomplete pending the resolution of the action items. It will be continued next week. Meanwhile…
It may be a joke, but let’s face it, lightbulbs are probably not high on your busy agenda – even though you’ve undoubtedly heard a lot of buzz about the benefits of switching to LED lights. Well, what if we told you that LEDs are becoming more cost competitive, while improving in quality?
More importantly, they can offer a substantial reduction in energy costs. In fact, we can give you seven great reasons to make the switch to LEDs, sooner rather than later.
- Energy efficiency– LEDs have an estimated energy efficiency of 80-90% compared to traditional lighting, in which most of the electricity is lost as heat. And because LEDs emit only a small fraction of the heat of conventional lighting, they can save energy in indirect ways, such as lower air conditioning costs. LEDs offer such a substantial reduction in electricity costs, especially in large facilities, that it’s possible to leverage those savings to pay for an entire retrofitting project. Depending on the financing, payments can be structured so that most companies/organizations are able to realize a positive ROI immediately. With utility costs on the rise, these savings will only increase over time.
- Rebates and Special Financing– Many local governments and public utilities are offering Energy Efficient Rebate programs that offer significant reimbursements for installing LED lighting. In addition, there is special financing available for energy savings projects, such as LED retrofitting, which make these upgrades even more affordable. For example, DTE Energy in Michigan offers 0% financing to schools and churches up to $150,000 for 60 months! However, these offers will not last forever. You can check energy.gov for more information or talk to a professional LED installation company, who can also help you apply for these offers.
- Long life– LEDs have a long operational life – sometimes up to 100,000 hours or 11 years of continuous operation! Think about the number of lights you have in your offices and/or manufacturing facilities. How many of those are difficult to reach without a lift or special equipment? Now, imagine less time spent changing lightbulbs, less disruption of operations, and decreased maintenance costs.
- Eco-friendly– In addition to using less energy, which reduces the demand from power plants and decreases greenhouse gas emissions, LEDs are free of toxic chemicals, such as mercury, and are 100% recyclable. Their long life means fewer replacement bulbs and less waste. If your company has green initiatives, LEDs are a great way to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Zero UV Emissions– LEDs produce very little infrared light and close to zero UV emissions. This makes LEDs perfect for UV-sensitive objects found in museums and art galleries. Also, did you know that UV radiation accelerates food decay and washes out the color in clothing? Some studies also indicate that exposure to Halide lights can be harmful to the skin. This makes LED lighting better for retail and display lighting, and safer for the people who work in that environment.
- Durability– LEDs are sturdier than traditional lightbulbs. They are resistant to shock, extreme weather conditions and vibrations, making them an excellent choice for factories, warehouses and outdoor lighting.
- Design flexibility– LEDs can be combined in any shape and color to produce great lighting effects. “Mood” illuminations are already being used in airplanes, classrooms, and newer offices. LEDs also have good light disbursement, which means they deliver more light to desired locations. Not only does this save energy, but it can improve lighting in work areas that need it most.
Every day, businesses, schools, churches and other organizations of all sizes are making the decision to reap the benefits of LEDs. Perhaps you’ve thought about it but left it low on the list of priorities due to costs or time constraints. But, there’s no time like the present to start saving money and upgrading your facilities at the same time.
For a turnkey LED solution – from consult and design, to financing and installation – rely on Woodward Energy Solutions. We can streamline the process of retrofitting your facilities with LEDs, saving you both time and money. Call us today at (866) 967-4533 for a free audit. We think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the results! To learn more and view some of our projects, visit www.woodwardenergy.com